Table of Contents

Monday, December 2, 2013

Interview with Character

Brennan 1
Chris Brennan

Mr. Casteel

CP English III

Period 0

2 December 2013

Interview with John Proctor

"Was the affair between you and Abigail the truth?'
Proctor: "Unfortunately, to say the least.  When the chaos occurred I was in a dark state and did not mean for my actions to get carried off unto that level.  I regret my decision daily and do not find a moment where I could take my actions against my loving wife back."

"What do you believe is your role in the start of the trials?"
Proctor: "I do hold myself partially accountable for the beginning of the witch hunts.  If my affair with Abigail had not altered her fragile mind-state I do not believe this issue would have gotten so far out of hand."

"Has your opinion of certain members of your Salem community altered since the start of the witch hunt?"
Proctor: "Most definitely.  In times of crisis the most ludicrous of persons are given the opportunity to rise into power.  In our case the issue was inevitable with so many ignorant in Salem."

"How have your and Abigail's relations progressed after the trials ends?"
Proctor: "After I was sentenced to death by hanging, I guess you could say mine and Abigail's relations found a different result than what she previously envisioned.  To say the least, I plan on never seeing that she-devil with my naked eyes again.  

"Do you suppose the art of witchcraft is real?"
Proctor: "Absolutely not.  The day Goody Williams is able to cast a spell is the same day my steer takes flight."

"If Reverend Hale had declared there to be no acts of witchcraft in Salem, do you believe the trials would have dragged on this far or even occurred in the first place?"
Proctor:  "If Reverend Hale had been more careful with his diagnosis, I do not believe that any of this bafflery would have happened.  Hale was too haste with his declaration causing for the tomfoolery we had just seen before us."

"If men like Thomas Putnam had not interfered, in your opinion, would the trials had been so malicious?"
Proctor: "If it was not for the greed of the Thomas Putnam's of this planet, the world would be a safe and completely lawful land.  When lust and greed overcome a person's being, that person is now subject to a lifetime of unruly and unjustifiable claims."

"Common hearsay says Abigail had fled Salem and moved to the city with her uncle, Rev. Parris', fortune where she now is a prostitute by profession.  What is your opinion on this?"
Proctor: "Serves them both fair.  God punishes those who sin and don't obey his commandments.  This is obviously a beautiful example of backsliding from His favor."

"Giles Corey is reported saying 'more weight' after several stones had been placed upon him already during his execution by pressing.  Do you find Corey's actions courageous?
Proctor: "I've always admired Giles and his quick wit.  Corey has always been among one of my closest companions in the town and a very loyal one among that.  Giles truly was a hero at heart; never suppressing his true emotions until the end."

"If you could voyage back in time, what actions would you change in order to alter and save the lives of your fellow neighbors in Salem and its surrounding towns?"
Proctor: "Most obviously I would have never of let the affair between myself and Abigail occur.  Second to that, I wish I could have better helped Reverend Hale realize the injustices and lies of both Abigail and the other girls.  


No comments:

Post a Comment